Engineering support analyst
Under the direction of the System Engineer, this position is responsible for the development and maintenance of the Cooperative’s Geographical Information Systems (GIS), SCADA model, and Engineering Analysis models to ensure the electrical and fiber optic system drawings and models, the associated database and connectivity, and the geographical background are accurate and current.
- Updates and makes corrections to the GIS mapping system to reflect any changes made to the electrical system relating to new construction, line conversions, maintenance programs, switching operations, phase changes, etc., to ensure an accurate and current representation of the electrical system.
- Updates and makes changes to the GIS mapping system to reflect accurate and current geographical and land base information including but not limited to highways, roads, lakes, rivers, creeks, wetlands, city limits, town limits, district lines, tax districts, service territories, easements, Board districts, property lines, and developments.
- Updates and make changes to the SCADA model to reflect system changes with SCADA communicated devices.
- Performs all work required of the GIS mapping system to ensure information relating to the service order and work order processes is properly entered into the GIS, accounting, and information systems.
- Uses the GIS mapping system to maintain all pertinent size, type, assembly, configuration, joint use, and maintenance data on electrical distribution system poles, lines, and equipment and generates related reports as needed.
- Perform necessary queries of the GIS model and extract information as required.
- Produces maps, diagrams, drawings, and reports as needed using the GIS mapping system, the AutoCAD software, the database software, and associated plotters, printers, or copiers.
- Create and maintain the electric engineering model generated from the GIS mapping system that will be used for importing into engineering analysis software.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must have working knowledge of the Cooperative system and service area.
- Must have knowledge of various types of electrical distribution equipment.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of Cooperative polices, practices, and programs.
- Must be able to communicate thoroughly and accurately.
- Computer application skills.
- Must have thorough knowledge of GIS software packages and GIS database design principles and techniques.
- Ability to use electrical engineering modeling software, Autocad, and SQL Server to run queries.
- Ability to problem solve.
- Must have the skills and ability to conceptualize physical field plant from work orders.
- Must have ability to understand land-based coordinate systems.
- Member – To courteously answer member inquiries and if unable to do so, to direct them to the appropriate person, to make every effort to gain their increased understanding and acceptance of the Cooperative’s plans, programs, and policies.
- State, County, and City Governments – To exchange facility and geographical data as needed with the related departments.
- Computer and Software Vendors – To correspond with as needed to resolve problems and gain assistance relating to the GIS, GPS, Autocad, and the associated plotters, printers, or copiers.
- Education/Experience – Any combination of education, experience, or training to meet the necessary qualifications of the job. Minimum requirements include equivalent to high school graduation supplemented with technical or college-level course work related to work requirements. A minimum of one (1) year GIS experience is preferred.
- Inside office environment with regular posted office hours and occasional overtime, including weekends and holidays if necessary.
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND DEXTERITY
- Frequent physical activity to include sitting at a desk for prolonged periods of time, standing, walking, stooping, bending, lifting, and carrying materials under fifteen pounds.
MACHINES, TOOLS, AND EQUIPMENT
- Capable of operating a personal computer, calculator, printer, copy machine, telephone, shredder, and any other required office equipment.
VISUAL ACUITY, HEARING, AND SPEAKING
- Comfortable in speaking on the telephone and via online conference tools. Must be able to communicate clearly and accurately for work and safety compliance.
- Majority of work will be performed indoors. Normal office safety precautions and practices are required. Position may require travel to acquire supplies from time to time. The regular work schedule is Monday through Friday.
Note: This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities and requirements. Management retains the right to assign or reassign duties and/or responsibilities at any time.