Network technician – operations – WHITE RIVER CONNECT
White River Valley Electric Cooperative’s fiber subsidiary, White River Connect, LLC, will soon be offering a robust fiber optic system to all its members and beyond. This system will help connect our communities with a reliable internet service, even in the most rural areas, and will ensure all have access to the most advanced fiber optic system in today’s world. We look forward to building a world-class fiber network that will transform our rural communities just as the Cooperative’s founders did with electric. White River Connect is currently looking to add to its team of amazing employees the position of Network Technician – Operations.
As a Network Technician in Network Operations, you will play a critical role in the maintenance, monitoring, and troubleshooting of our FTTx network infrastructure. Your role will involve ensuring the smooth functioning of our network, troubleshooting and resolving network issues, and providing technical support to customers and internal teams.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/ RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Monitor and maintain the performance and availability of the FTTx network infrastructure.
- Conduct regular inspections and maintenance of network infrastructure to ensure optimal performance.
- Perform network configuration changes, upgrades, and equipment installations, ensuring adherence to industry best practices and company standards.
- Maintain documentation of network configurations, installations, and troubleshooting procedures.
- Be able to manage multiple tickets at once from beginning to end and document the progression and resolution.
- Install network equipment and associated cabling.
- Investigate OSI layer 1 connectivity issues with appropriate diagnostic tools.
- Respond to network incidents and service outages, troubleshoot, and resolve network connectivity and performance problems in a timely manner.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including customer support, installation technicians, and third-party vendors, to ensure seamless network operations and timely issue resolution.
- Provide detailed explanations of the troubleshooting procedures in a professional and courteous manner.
- Stay updated with the latest industry trends and advancements in network technologies, making recommendations for network optimizations and improvements.
- Adhere to established security protocols and procedures to ensure the integrity and confidentiality of network data.
- Participate in on-call rotations to provide 24/7 coverage for network operations emergencies.
- Adhere to company policies, procedures, and safety standards, ensuring a safe and secure network environment.
- Proven experience in network operations, preferably in an FTTx environment.
- Solid understanding of networking concepts, fiber optics, and FTTx architecture.
- Proficiency in network testing and troubleshooting tools.
- Knowledge of AC/DC power concepts.
- Knowledge of cabling standards.
- Understanding of IPv4 and IPv6 addressing fundamentals.
- Familiarity with network protocols and technologies, such as Ethernet, DNS, DHCP, IP, VLANs, and QoS.
- Experience with network tools for fault detection.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and documentation skills.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to respond to callouts in the evenings, overnights, and holidays.
- Must be able to perceive differences in the wire and cable colors.
- Physical stamina and ability to work at heights or in confined spaces when required.
- Flexibility to work in rotating shifts, including evenings, weekends, and holidays, if required.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma, or GED required.
- BS/AS degree in Information Technology, or a related field, is preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of experience as a Network Technician in a Service Provider environment.
- Customers – While your primary focus may be on network operations, you may occasionally interact with customers, especially in cases of escalated issues or major outages. Maintaining a customer-centric approach and providing excellent service will be a priority.
- Service Providers – You may work closely with external service providers, such as ISPs (Internet Service Providers) or telecommunication companies, to ensure seamless connectivity and troubleshoot network-related issues.
- Contractors – Collaborate with contractors necessary to coordinate network upgrades, repairs, and expansions.
- Technical Support – Collaborate with external technical support teams to assist in troubleshooting complex network issues or providing specialized expertise.
- Working inside and outside during regular hours and occasional overtime, including weekends and holidays if necessary. Normal safety precautions and practices are required. Position may require travel outside the service area from time to time. Regular work schedule is Monday through Friday.
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND DEXTERITY
- Frequent physical activity includes sitting at a desk for prolonged periods of time, standing, walking, stooping, bending, lifting, and carrying materials up to 50 pounds without assistance.
- Often need to climb ladders or enter confined spaces to access networking equipment. This requires good balance, coordination, and a lack of fear of heights.
- You will need to walk across different types of terrain, including outdoor areas, construction sites, or customer premises where the network infrastructure is located. This may involve walking on uneven surfaces, climbing stairs, or maneuvering around obstacles.
MACHINES, TOOLS, AND EQUIPMENT
- Capable of operating a personal computer and related software. Must be able to operate office equipment and telecommunications equipment.
VISUAL ACUITY, HEARING, AND SPEAKING
- Comfortable speaking on the telephone and via online conference tools. Must be able to communicate clearly and accurately for work and safety compliance.
Note: This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, and requirements. Management retains the right to assign or reassign duties and/or responsibilities at any time.