Safe Handling for Appliances
White River Valley Electric Cooperative (WRVEC) encourages you to follow these basic safety tips at all times to ensure that you are handling your appliances safely.
- When unplugging appliances, be sure to always pull on the plug itself, not the cord.
- Frequently check that all plugs and cords are free from damage, and that none of the internal wires are exposed. If the plugs or cords are damaged or frayed in anyway, they are not safe to use, and must be replaced or repaired immediately.
- Be sure that plugs fit securely into outlets. Do not force a plug if it doesn’t fit, this could create an electrical hazard. Instead, look for an outlet that the plug does fit securely into. Use an extension cord if necessary. If you are using an extension cord, be sure to review our extension cord safety section.
- If you are using a plug with three prongs, never remove the third prong, the ground prong, in order to make it fit a two prong outlet. This could create an electrical hazard.
- Be sure to never plug more appliances into a circuit than the circuit can handle. Overloading a circuit in this way, or plugging in appliances that pull more electricity than the circuit can handle, could start a whole house fire.
- Be sure to always unplug appliances when cleaning. Even if an appliance is turned off, it could still cause an electric shock. It is best to always unplug appliances.
- Never submerge an electrical appliance in water, whether unplugged or not. Water could remain in the circuitry of the appliance, and this could cause an electrical shock at a later date.
- Never put any metal object into a live or exposed circuit. Metal is a conductor. Any person touching the object would get an electric shock and could be severely hurt.
- Be sure to check that all appliances bear the seal of a recognized testing laboratory such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL).
- Never carry an appliance by its cord. This could cause damage that may go unnoticed. Later on, the damaged cord could shock someone.
- Be sure no electrical cords are hidden under rugs or furniture. This is a fire hazard.
If you have any additional questions about our safety tips, please contact us or call 1-800-879-4056